Monday, September 29, 2008

Do-Over

Bob Barnes, who spoke at our church last night, always amuses me, yet at the same time challenges me. Nice combination! My kids are raised, but when I listen to Bob, it makes me want to have a "do-over". So many things I wish I had done while the kids were under this roof.

We are blessed with two kids who are both married and both following the Lord. We had help parenting. Godly friends and mentors, and great resources from Focus on the Family. When we blew it, God stepped in. It's the only explanation, when I hear Bob talk about so many things I could have done, but didn't. I did some of them. I wish I had done more. I'm glad God stepped in.

Today, I couldn't be prouder of my kids. Rachel, who will turn 30 in a few weeks, is a homemaker and stay-at-home-mom raising twin boys, now 19 months old. She's been married to a believer for nearly 8 years, and is active in her church. Ben, who will be 28 in a few weeks, is a Student Ministries Pastor at a church in Charlotte, and is attending seminary. He is also married to a believer, and is showing real leadership qualities both at church and at home. I am fortunate. indeed, to be their dad.

I thank the Lord for the insights he gave us when raising our kids. That still doesn't stop me from occasionally wishing for a do-over. Even though our grandsons are 3,000 miles away, I'm anxious to have an influence on the next generation. Maybe that's my do-over!

No comments: