Saturday, October 4, 2008

Stripped Away

"Do not be overawed when a man grows rich, when the splendor of his house increases; for he will take nothing with him when he dies." Psalm 49:16-17

It's a phrase that has been embraced in the mainstream vernacular: "You can't take it with you!" Everyone knows what it means, but I wonder how many people realize that it comes straight from scripture? I suspect there are other common phrases, used by Christians and non-Christians alike, that find their basis in the Bible. Any of you care to share others you can think of?

Reading in Psalm 49, I'm reminded again that everything we have gets stripped away at death. The older I get, the more aware I've become how unimportant "things" are. I still enjoy them. I'm still captivated by the latest electronic gadget. I'm grateful for the comfortable furnishings in my home. But is accumulating and protecting these things worthy of the time and attention I often give to these endeavors? I know the answer. It doesn't always change my behavior. I need the reminder of Psalm 49.

This is a temporary home. It offers temporary pleasures. I can be grateful for them. But the best use of my time and energy is in making sure I am prepared for the life to come...in my real home. Honoring and worshipping God. Building my relationship with Him...and with others. Striving to become more Christ-like. These are the things that endure...the things that I WILL be able to take with me.

Hard to believe, on such a beautiful day, that everything I enjoy of God's creation will be just a shadow compared to the splendor that is to come. My mind can't really get wrapped around that.

No comments: